Check out market updates

The Key Facts About Planning Approval in Your Neighbourhood

The latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealing an increase in building approvals.  

Before you can find out whether planning approval is required for your project, you need to obtain key facts about your site such as site area, zoning, neighbourhood plan and overlays.   In Brisbane there are different types of approvals needed for different types of projects. Brisbane City Council allows some projects to be self assessable while others are exempt and need no approvals.  Other types of projects need development approval, building approval or siting variation approval. It is important to remember that even if your project does not need a development application, a building approval may still be required.


Self-assessable development

Certain types of projects do not need a development application but must comply with Council’s rules and applicable Codes. These projects are referred to as self-assessable.

Exempt development

Where development is identified as exempt, a development application is not required and there is no need to comply with Codes or other requirements of the City Plan.

Development approval

Development approvals determine what types of activities go where, as well as controlling and minimising the potential impacts on the surrounding properties. Council is responsible for assessing development applications and giving development approvals.

Water approval

Information about the water supply and sewerage aspects of building and development from Queensland Urban Utilities.

Building approval

Building approvals control the safety of the structure and are provided by private building certifiers.

Prohibited development

Information about prohibited development as a category of development under theSustainable Planning Act 2009.

Siting variations

A siting variation (or relaxation) may be required to build within the boundary setbacks of your property. Find out if you need a siting variation and how to apply.

Find out what approvals are required for common residential and business projects.

Building & development compliance

Council provides compliance and assessment in relation to the Building Act, Queensland Development Code, pool safety and general advice. A Request for Assessment application is required to obtain this advice.
Certain types of development are listed below or go to the BCC website:


For a free Strategy Call contact Michael Donoghue or click here >